Goal: Educate incoming students and visitors about the science of sound while collaboratively working together to create a 36 ft or 11m high instrument in the front of the school!
Description: Following the design challenge process, students will work in groups of 2-5 to research, design and build a proposed model of a gravity xylophone. The best model or aspects of the best model will be used in the large scale design. Students will learn about:
- What makes a song and what is the difference between music and noise
- ound: how density and size of materials affects the tone produced and different types of waves and how they travel
- The design process: Ask, Budget, Plan, Create and Test, Redesign
Presentation and collaboration skills
Subject: Physical Science & Music
Grade Level: 10-11th, High School
- Repurposed materials from the building project at our school
- Any materials from home
- Any medium of their choice: wood, metal, PVC pipes
- Completion of reflections on science and musical concepts learned, collaboration and soft skills, and design process.
- Final presentation of group gravity xylophone